“Isola di San Secondo”
2013
Media: pastel on card
Size: 17,5 x 17,5 cm

In 1034 a church and a Benedictine monastery were built here, dedicated to Saint Erasmus. In 1237 the remains of Saint Secundus were transferred here from Asti and the island also took his name. According to legend, as soon as the body of the saint arrived on the island, the previously dry well began bursting forth with sweet water with miraculous healing properties. In the sixteenth century, the Benedictines were replaced by Dominican friars who stayed on the island until 1806, when the island was handed over to the military. In 1824 the ancient church and monastery were demolished to leave space for military buildings, the remains of which are visible today. The military left it in the hands of private owners and it is currently abandoned.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:

“Isola di San Secondo”
2013
Media: pastel on card
Size: 17,5 x 17,5 cm

In 1034 a church and a Benedictine monastery were built here, dedicated to Saint Erasmus. In 1237 the remains of Saint Secundus were transferred here from Asti and the island also took his name. According to legend, as soon as the body of the saint arrived on the island, the previously dry well began bursting forth with sweet water with miraculous healing properties. In the sixteenth century, the Benedictines were replaced by Dominican friars who stayed on the island until 1806, when the island was handed over to the military. In 1824 the ancient church and monastery were demolished to leave space for military buildings, the remains of which are visible today. The military left it in the hands of private owners and it is currently abandoned.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer: