“Isola del Lazzareto Vecchio”
2013
Media: pastel on card
Size: 17,5 x 17,5 cm

In 1249 Augustinian monks built a church dedicated to St Mary of Nazareth and a hostel for pilgrims to and from the holy land. In 1423 the hostel was equipped to care for people with contagious diseases. The hospital was financed for 60 years by the Salt office before becoming a part of a permanent department of health. Precautions against contagion such as quarantine, health checks and controlled visiting rights were established, and were then adopted following Venice’s example by most marine based nations. The name Lazzareto is a popularised derivation of the word Nazzareth. Today “lazzareto” is still used to refer to a place where people with contagious diseases may shelter. The island was eventually given over for military purposes until 1965, when it was abandoned for a short while, and is currently used to house stray dogs.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer:

“Isola del Lazzareto Vecchio”
2013
Media: pastel on card
Size: 17,5 x 17,5 cm

In 1249 Augustinian monks built a church dedicated to St Mary of Nazareth and a hostel for pilgrims to and from the holy land. In 1423 the hostel was equipped to care for people with contagious diseases. The hospital was financed for 60 years by the Salt office before becoming a part of a permanent department of health. Precautions against contagion such as quarantine, health checks and controlled visiting rights were established, and were then adopted following Venice’s example by most marine based nations. The name Lazzareto is a popularised derivation of the word Nazzareth. Today “lazzareto” is still used to refer to a place where people with contagious diseases may shelter. The island was eventually given over for military purposes until 1965, when it was abandoned for a short while, and is currently used to house stray dogs.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Photographer: