“Isola San Felice Delle Saline”
Media: acrylic on canvas
Size: 102 x 102 cm
This island, along with many others, plays a vital role in the history of the Serenissima Republic. Along with the islands of Ammiana, Castrasia, Saint Christina and Ammianella, it was first populated by the Altinati. They were joined by the inhabitants of Jesolo and Eraclea in the 8th Century who were fleeing the barbarian invaders. The island gets its name from the navigable canal used to transport salt which runs alongside it. The commerce in salt played an influential role in the expansion of the Srenissima’s sea power. The island was used for salt collection until 1913. It is currently in private ownership and used for cultivation and tourism.